Thursday, May 28, 2009

Memorial Day

We went to visit my parents in Oregon over Memorial Day weekend. Here are some random thoughts and facts:

Ella made the 13-hour drive to Oregon without accidents. Or diapers. I tried to buy Pull-Ups "just in case" but Ella threw such a fit at Target about it that I threw caution to the wind, and just took all the panties we own. On the way home, we had a bomb. On the whole, though, she did a good job.

We got to spend the whole weekend with my parents and my brother Barton. Usually he's working, but the one upside to being out of a job in these tough times is that he has lots of time to spend with us - and we loved it.

We love going to the Oregon coast. We love sand, waves, sea lions, and the aquarium.

We saw an eight foot long sturgeon - underwater. If you're ever in the Columbia River Gorge, remember: the Bonneville Dam and fish hatchery are free, and very cool.

Lear threw a fit because he only got one new Transformer a day while at grandma and grandpa's house. When I tried to tell my mom to tone it down, she said, "Tia, it's my job to spoil them, and yours to mediate the effects." Thanks, Mom. 

One of the reasons I left Oregon were springtime allergies. Now, whenever I go back, they gleefully take their revenge. Curse you, pollen!

I have a very cute new nephew. The other two are pretty darned cute, too. I loved watching my kids playing with their cousins. There wasn't even much fighting.

My brother Bronson came with us. He slept for about 97% of the drive - that's about 25 hours total. It's like he has a mutant power or something. Thank God you're here, Narcoleptic Boy!


Lear quote: "I missed Cosy so much it put a tear in my eye." (Cosy is our annoying cat.)

Ella quote, said after a compliment on her cute curls: "Yeah, I look good."

5 comments:

Barton said...

Thanks for coming by, Always great to visit with you guys when I get the chance!

Brei said...

You guys much watch Who's Line is it...do I feel another marathon coming on with that?

Bronson said...

Well, I think you're overestimating the percentage, but I do know I slept alot in the car...years of training. Anyways, it was definitely fun.

Launa said...

One of these days we must go with you to the coast. It sounds so fun. Then I can do the 97% sleeping and get all caught up. I am glad you get to go see your family a couple of times a year. It is so cool to be close to cousins growing up and I know as grandparents you can never have enough time with the grandchildren.

carolee said...

What a fun trip. Yay for Ella for making it all that way without accidents! I'm so glad you guys were able to get away for a few days.