Saturday, October 10, 2009

I broke Ella's heart yesterday.

We were driving home from having dinner at Fuddrucker's (my first hamburger in months. I guess I can't have another until December or something.) and we were having a discussion about nieces and nephews, and how all the relatives are related to the kids. We told Ella that when she gets married in at least 20 years (I'm sticking to that rule!) her kids will be our grandkids.

"When I marry Lear, our kids will be your gran-chil-in?" Ella said.

"Sorry Ella, but you can't marry your brother - or your cousins. Maybe you'll marry Kyle or Elijah." I replied. (Kyle is my friend Brei's son, and Elijah is Coryellen's. Both are her friends.)

"Yeah, Ella," Lear chimed in, "you can only marry your friends. I used to want to marry you or mommy, too, until I found that out."

A small whine started in the carseat behind me. It grew in both volume and pitch, before Ella burst into hysterical sobs. Why? Because she can't marry Lear. She cried all the way home.

"Don't worry, Ella. In 20 years, you'll think that marrying your brother is the most disgusting thing ever," I said, trying to comfort her.

For some reason, that didn't help at all.

6 comments:

This Place is a Disaster! said...

So sweet!

Unknown said...

Ella, don't feel bad. All your mother's brothers wanted to marry your grandma Janes. But, when I told them that they could not marry her, none of them cried.

Bonnie said...

cute! Little kids are so funny!

Launa said...

Well Lear certainly is the "Man of her world". I've seen how she follows him and copies everything he does. And their little hugs and encouragement to each other is so sweet. But oh how I have seen the sparks fly out of her eyes and her determined jaw line as she lights in to him with nails, and teeth, and hair pulling. Ahh yes, there is such a fine line between love and can't stand you! I used to get angry because ALL my friends wanted to marry my older brother and I always felt like they wanted to come see me because maybe they would catch a glimpse of Tom too. But that was a tender little story. Love you all!!

Chris and Brindy said...

That's so funny! haha She will certainly laugh one day when she hears this little story of when she was little.

carolee said...

can't. stop. laughing.