Saturday, September 6, 2008

Fluting is looking less frustrating from here...

We've been busy. Well, I have at least, and it's all been flutey stuff, which is grand. Thanks to a flutist friend of mine, a local conductor called me to invite me to audition for his orchestra. After a week of frenzied practicing, I played a relatively good audition for him - although I have to say that I am frustrated that after 21 years of playing the flute, I still make rookie mistakes like playing too fast when under pressure. As I've said before, I have great hopes that someday I will grow up. Anyway, he told me that this was a "just in case" audition - the current principal flutist of the orchestra is trying to sell her house, and they don't actually need someone until it sells and she's moving for sure. What could I do, but smile and wait, and hope that her house sells fast? Meanwhile, I was preparing for my first private lesson in seven years, with a guest artist that was coming to town, Zart Domburian-Eby. She's the piccolo player with the Seattle Symphony, and she is a spectacular musician. Her recital was wonderful - I'm not sure whether I'm inspired or depressed. I vacillate between the two: sometimes I think that if I take some lessons, there may be some hope for me left, and sometimes I think I'm too old for a flute resurrection. However, my lesson was great. I don't think I made a fool of myself, which was my greatest fear. I've been playing so much lately, which feels very good, and all that practicing has paid off, because the conductor guy called me, and I'm starting rehearsals with the Orchestra of Sandy City this week. It was formerly called the American West Symphony, and it's supposed to be one of the better community groups here in the Salt Lake area. So, I'm excited. Fluting has been extremely frustrating for me for several years now, and I am starting to feel like things may be looking up. 

2 comments:

carolee said...

Yahoo for you!! That's so great! We're sure excited for you!!

pink52 said...

My name is Jackie Smith Sorenson. I used to live in Twin Falls, Idaho and am looking for Launa Stoker Jaynes. We were best friends growing up. If you know her, please have her e-mail me a justjackie2@gmail.com.
Many thanks.